Thread: Help choosing hardware - yes, that old chestnut!

Help choosing hardware - yes, that old chestnut!

Howdy all. Been sat on the sidelines of this site forever but never gotten around to actually posting anything. Now, however, I find myself a little stumped, and so I turn to you, the Glorious Verge Overmind for guidance!
    OK: I need a laptop. Simple problem but, as we all know too well, a tricky decision.
    What will I use it for, you ask? Largely, writing (as in novels) so what I need is a good battery life, preferably lightweight, with solid build quality, and if it could have actual support so I am not left stranded when it breaks down, then hang the expense!

While it will also be used fro general surfing, playing music (via bluetooth - I don't care about its speakers) and research, etc, it needs no power for gaming as I already have a dedicated gaming rig.
    Budget wise? Well, I don;t mind going up to 1500 - maybe more if justified - as long as it is solid and the cost is justified, but obviously, the less I can spend on this, the more I can waste on other shiny toys!

While I am very used to Windows (15+ years as IT tech/programmer) I am more than comfortable with Apple products, too. In truth, I am posting this today as I was holding out on yesterday's Apple announcement, crossing my fingers for a shiny new update to the Mac air, but it was not to be. Therefore, I am a little lost.
    I think that, right now, the Mac Air is a) too expensive* for what it is and b) has an 'orrible screen, so I am far from sold on that anymore. A MBP is just...well, its overkill, innit? Also, those new post Brexxit prices are eye-watering. Other things I am considering are the Surface Book (as it looks quite sexy and ticks a lot of boxes) but worries over its battery being very hit and miss are staying my hand.

I've looked at the Dell XPS 13: it seems...solid, but uninspired, should I say? Plus its also getting harder to get hold of at sane prices. I've also considered Chrome Books of various flavours, but the online-only aspect is a none starter for me.
    So, yeah: What do you recommend? Happy to listen to all thoughts as, after spending a week studying specs and reviews, I am frankly losing the will to live!

Surface Book is great if your budget allows for it, but it might be slightly overkill for you if you don’t see yourself detaching the tablet portion a lot (for reading your novels after you’ve written them, watching video, surfing the web or whatever).
    If you just want a more traditional laptop form factor, then maybe look at the Yoga 900 and Thinkpads?