Thread: It's 2017. It's about time our OSes and browsers ship with password managers and VPNs.

It's 2017. It's about time our OSes and browsers ship with password managers and VPNs.

I mean, think about it. Every day, we hear about how great VPNs are, and how much safer LastPass is than remembering your passwords. But a minority of Internet users, likely under 10%, perhaps even smaller, are ever going to use these tools. Your average dad or mom wouldn't know what one was if you hit them on the head with it. And worse, given that most free VPNs log data, those who do use VPNs but do not want to pay may actually be worsening their security. It's about time Google, Apple and Microsoft stepped up, and started shipping password managers in their OSes and/or browsers (in Chrome, Android and Windows), as well as VPNs. The password managers should be free, while the VPNs might not neccessarily have to be unlimited, but at least with some sort of free quota per month (e.g. 1GB). Samsung and Opera (with Samsung Pass and Opera VPN respectively), are taking positive baby steps, but Samsung Pass works only with their internet browser, which fewer people use, while Opera is a distant fifth-place in the browser wars.

While I think it would be a great Idea for password managers built into the OS, Do you really trust any of these companies to not log your traffic through their vpn. I mean due to their size sooner or later they’re going to face some sort of push back from someone to get access to said logs (and there probably would be some sort of logs), not to mention in the case of google being an Ad funded company, the opportunity to monetize said traffic is too good to pass up. Then as a side effect of that, it potentially strengthens anti-net neutrality arguments put forth by ISPs like Verizon who essentially want to do this already.

OSX/iOS has Keychain and Windows has something similar (Vault? I’ve not used it)?
    Lastpass and suchlike are only really necessary if you are working across platforms.

VPNs? You have to pay somewhere so why not pay someone you chose? My company uses NordVPN because most of us are connecting through public wifi but I’m not sure the average Joe want to pay for something like this.

More to the many of the advertising companies that provide ‘free’ services rely on collecting data on public wifi.

As Dr Strange says, Safari can use iCloud Keychain and even Google can store your passwords but it’s not very secure or something.