Thread: Another former Comcast customer

Another former Comcast customer

Approximately two weeks ago, in late January 2014, I canceled my Comcast cable TV and Internet service. Two weeks before that, I would have never thought to do such a thing.

You see, I’m the kind of person who is a massive consumer of media, including TV, movies, internet videos, etc. I even find myself catching The Verge’s Vergecast at least a few times a month. And like many American males, I love my sports. I watch[ed] most Timberwolves and Twins games (Fox Sports North), I watch almost every Vikings game, and frequent ESPN and even occasionally found myself watching Fox Sports 1. So why would I cancel my only option to catch many of these programs?

Let me go back a little further. I’m the type of person who questions authority heavily, and if I pay for a service, I expect to get what I pay for. You see, I’ve had cable TV service for quite some time, but up until a few months ago, I lived in a service area with Charter. A few years back, I thought Charter was just another crappy cable company. But as time moved on, Charter became bearable, even somewhat good. For internet, the speed was great, bandwidth was sufficient, but for TV, the services provided and packages offered seemed sub-par. At least that’s what I thought before I moved to the Twin Cities.

When we first moved up to St. Paul, we lived in a studio apartment, we only had room for one TV, so never really needed more than one box. I now live in St. Paul in a two story apartment complex. My only viable option for television service is Comcast. Obviously, satellite is available, but my apartment requires a $250 deposit to install, not really an option. So, I decided on Comcast. They provide internet and TV, and for introductory prices, they aren’t that bad. But, when we moved to our new place, we got some bedrooms, oh yeah!

Well, okay, if that’s what you require so I can get FSN, then okay. I chatted with a Comcast service representative as we moved into the new apartment and this is what I was told: If I wanted two boxes, the first SD box is free, and the second SD or even HD box is $10 a month. Fine. That’s what we decided we would do. Great, got the equipment, installed it myself and had beautiful HDTV, at least on one TV. That lasted about one day. An email showed up quickly explaining some new charges.