Thread: Facebook tries out topical news feeds again

Facebook tries out topical news feeds again

(Original Verge article here.)
    So Facebook is putting out multiple news feeds again to wrangle the single stream of algorithmically assembled content into more specific stacks. I like the idea... but it feels familiar.
    Hasn't Facebook tried this before? At least once, maybe twice if you include Lists?
    And do we think this implementation will succeed where others did not?

This is the version that I remember on mobile, which (I think) put together groups of content for you based on liking a lot of pages in a specific category.
    The problem with this approach is/was discoverability. As with carousels, dropdowns, and hamburger menus (that’s another debate, of course), the problem is that most people don’t bother changing/exploring other options.
    Facebook seems to be addressing this head-on so… maybe it’ll work?
    What do you all think?
    Previous approach:

It’s a marginally more intelligent RSS, which begs the question, why people want an RSS that passes solely through Facebook?

Hard to say. On the one hand, I totally agree; we already have something that does this job.
    On the other hand, we could ask why people want messaging apps (including Messenger) instead of using SMS.
    I think that it’s because SMS and RSS (and email and the semantic web) are subject to standards that evolve slowly. Look the responsive images group (RICG) and how long it took them to nail that down.
    First-parties can create proprietary versions of these basic features (SMS, RSS, email, HTML), try to become ubiquitous, and patch in features as quickly as they like without being subject to an external standards body.

RSS is actually a very robust system as is, though. The cynic in me thinks (and with a good amount of merit) that this is just another step in Facebook’s circuitous plan to become the Internet itself. Facebook only makes money from advertising so long as people stay in Facebook’s domain, so it only makes sense for Facebook to want to keep people within that domain as long as physically possible. Since more and more users are using Facebook primarily on mobile, it’s only natural for the company to shift its strategy towards encompassing what people do on mobile, chat and read from other feeds. Instant Articles is clearly another project designed to make your stay in Facebook a little longer.