Thread: Cloud Storage options

I would also finally like to get organized, and back up all of my photos in the cloud (so I don’t need to store all of them on my laptop anymore)

Cloud Storage options

I’d say stick with Dropbox or go with OneDrive. iCloud is very limited in what you can do with it imo. The fact you use OneNote points me towards suggesting OneDrive though. You’ll also get more free storage than Dropbox with OneDrive and better integration with Office. There’s also an extra bit of free storage for enabling photo backup.

I went through the exact same process earlier this year, and again before that.
    For me, I started with Dropbox, switched to OneDrive for about a year, have tried several other very good services, and am now back where I started.
    My recommendation to you is this: figure out what exactly you want from your cloud storage. You use only Apple devices, so have you tried replacing Office with iWork? Or Google Docs/Sheets/etc. if you’re online?
    Then you can forget about the fluff and focus on the cloud storage on its own, see which one works best for your needs. At this point I don’t think either OneDrive or Dropbox are going anywhere in the foreseeable future, so I would worry more about quality of service than future-proofing when considering these particular options.
    The other trap I fell into is focusing too much on freebies. For me, cloud storage is an integral part of my business, so I really don’t care how much they give me for free because I’ll be paying for their best service anyway—that shifts the conversation from "look, you get all these freebies if you’ll just use our service!" to "Our service is the most reliable, quick, and ubiquitous. And it will cost you this much." I much prefer the latter.

Thanks both Marius, your blogpost is a great read.
    I don’t mind spending money on cloud storage, I have been considering it for a while now. I just want the best option. I’m inclined to stick with dropbox because everybody around me uses it, so it works great for sharing.
    But then again, I probably want to keep using MS Office, and since the new version for mac is coming out soon, I might as well sign up for office 365 and get 1TB of cloud storage at the same time.