Thread: Spend around 1250$ on a camera set for me

Spend around 1250$ on a camera set for me

Well that depends on your needs, and what type of camera you would prefer. Do you want big, medium, or small? Do you want fixed lense camera, or camera with interchangeable lenses.
    If you want a very good fixed lense camera, the Fuiji X100F, is great, though only $50 above your budget. It finally has good video, reasonably fast AF, and a reasonably fast 23mm F2 lens.
    If you want a system camera then I’d look at either the Panasonic GX85 or G85 with the 12-60mm(f3.5) kit. GX85 is more of a rangefinder style and been out a little longer in the market so price is lower($700 for the GX85), which would allow you get a great lense like the Olympus 17mm f1.8. While the G85 has similar specs, but is also weather-sealed(if I remember correctly), and newer on the market so it cost a little more. I’d pair that with the compact, but affordable 14mm f2.5, or the non-Leica 25mm from Panasonic(which I have seen going for as low as $125 on sale). Plus, Panasonic has some of the best video features and quality on the market.
    Another option would be the Fuji X-T20 with the 18-5mm f2.8-4 kit lens(one of the best kit lenses on the market). Fuji has fixed some of the problems they had in the past like AF that was slower than the competition and video quality, which was always an afterthought. Camera is also still fairly small, like the Panasonic, while still offering a lot of controls on the body. The camera is right now priced at $1200, which is in line with the competition.

The thing is I have not made up my mind yet what exactly I want and need. What would you get if you had no camera whatsoever and that amount of money to spend?

And don’t get me wrong – thanks for your comment already very insightful!

Yeah, I’d consider what I want to do AND what I want to get out of this hobby.
    I have a Nikon DSLR and I love it. On the downside, it’s bulky and heavy and kind of a pain in the ass to haul around. On the plus side, as I’ve gotten more comfortable with it I’ve been better able to take pictures I really like. I also like knowing that I have decades worth of old Nikon glass to play around with. Playing around with stuff was a big part of the appeal for me. My ex, on the other hand, got a Nikon and a 35mm lens and was pretty much good with that, aside form borrowing lenses from me for special occasions. (She was a much better shooter than I am, fwiw )
    All of which is to say that you could pretty much throw a dart at a modern camera system and get a great camera system. Before you buy anything, I’d think a lot more about what you want to do and how you want to do it. The answers to those questions should steer you to the right camera.

When I bought a camera last year, it had been years since I was following the camera market. Mirrorless ILCs have come incredibly far, but I wrote them off entirely. If I could go back in time before I spent the money, I’d give serious attention to a Micro 4/3 (Patlex recommended a couple above), if for nothing other than the broad lens offerings at fairly reasonable prices.
    Instead, I went with a Nikon 5300. I initially got both the 18-55 kit and the 55-200 kit, but I almost always use my 35 f/1.8 since I bought it, and the 18-55 when I need a wider angle (in the market for a better/wider angle, and intend eventually to grab a 50 f/1.4 or f/1.8). I wasn’t sure what I’d be shooting, but have since found that I most enjoy casual portraits of friends, families, cats, and babies, and wide landscapes. I’m asking a lot out of a single system, but for the most part it does well. I’d consider going up to the 7000 series for a number of the features it offers (including a few on my cons for the 5000 series), but then you lose the lightness.
    Pros: lightweight (comparable to many mirrorless); access to Nikon’s lenses going back decades (though no focus motor in camera, so limited w/ auto-focus lenses); the battery lasts a thousand shots or more at a time (I do have a second battery just in case); the 24mp APS-C sensor can handle more than I capable of. It’s a nice, compact DSLR for a good price.
    Cons: It could use more control dials (it has one, and so I have to press fn buttons to get at everything, slowing me down); live view is slow with poor autofocus (I’ve read later generations have improved); the OVF is good but a bit small – I really like the hybrid ones and high pixel density EVFs mirrorless cameras are equipped with these days; not water/dust proof; no focus motor built into the camera.