Thread: Copyright works just fine as is, that's why it hasn't been changed.

The $6m question.
    All I hear from people who oppose SOPA is how wrong it is (and I agree) but no alternatives apart from the “piracy in impossible to stop” brigade .
    You are wrong on youtube – they do not take down everything that is requested to be taken down, they look at it and then decide. I personally disagree with the DMCA safe harbor – youtube and many other hosts hide behind it. Sites should be checking what is being uploaded.

Copyright works just fine as is, that's why it hasn't been changed.

VoxMediaUser604384

Fair enough. And you and I agree on the SOPA debate. I have little respect for those who say it is the end of all things, yet are unwilling to offer up a better solution. It’s too bad because I think there is a fantastic opportunity here to come up with a really well done, sweeping policy change.

Such a requirement would shut down a lot of sites. YouTube has over 35 hours of video uploaded every minute. That means it would need to be reviewed at a rate 2,100 times faster than the rate that it’s uploaded. And the comments? Well, those would need to be reviewed to make sure no one is linking to something bad, or just posting copyrighted text. Do you use Reddit? What about Facebook? Flickr? 500px? You could probably kiss all of those goodbye. Along with many smaller sites, like XDA Developers.

VoxMediaUser604384

ALso, think about every single online cloud storage site like dropbox. New versions of files are uploaded several times a minute…

I agree that no new protections are needed, and the internet is not currently broken—but I thought one of the main problems with SOPA/PIPA would be inevitable abuse in allowing large content companies to freely suppress, without due process, expression that in fact falls under fair use. As well as collateral damage in suppression of all speech posted to a website that gets taken down due to a single legitimate claim of infringing content, i.e., the claims by Reddit. Maybe Nilay was referring to free-speech and fair-use protections that should have been built into SOPA, and into any future piracy-stopping measures, to prevent those scenarios.