Thread: The Case for Copyright Reform

The Case for Copyright Reform

A lot of enforcement doesn’t require any breach of those traditional ideas of privacy. If I post a torrent on a public website, or even just participate in seeding the file then that isn’t a private communication in the way that a telephone call or physical letter, or indeed email is. Neither morally nor legally.
    There are plenty of kinds of real world communication that don’t come with the same presumption of privacy. For example the moment you ship something internationally it’s liable to be examined. Privacy is complicated.

Privacy is simple. Government complicates anything it sticks its fingers into.

I just read the ebook, and I agree wholeheartedly with its premise. I sent copies to all of my legislative representatives urging them to consider sponsoring it in the US.

VoxMediaUser604384

While I am inherently predisposed to disagree with anything the Pirate party proposes, the passage you posted above is pretty well-reasoned (that’s a lot of Ps), though it has nothing to do with copyright, and more to do with privacy rights. That being said, much of what the author proposes is already true in the U.S. unless you contract out of it.
    The real issue is not the privacy laws in the U.S., but user agreements with the major service providers. Their TOSs and Privacy Policies are not friendly to privacy-minded folks, and give the provider access to just about anything they want. It’s one of the benefits and drawbacks of our country’s right to contract.
    Either way, I think i will dl the ebook and give it a read. I’ll probably get angry and stop half way, but it’s worth a shot! Thanks, OP!