Thread: Study on Gaming Journalism

Study on Gaming Journalism

Maybe I’m wrong but it feels like your opinion comes through a bit too much in the questionnaire.

The study is based on a number of hypotheses, the survey’s purpose is to measure these. It is still a possibility for them to be just flat-out wrong.
    That said, I tried avoiding loaded questions or agenda-driven content, what stands out particularly to you?

Ethics in game journalism is a strange thing to obsess over generally. Video game journalism isn’t more prone to bias than other forms journalism focused on different industries. What about ethics in consumer tech journalism? Or ethics in agriculture journalism? Ethics in car journalism?

It actually is, although not generally in the ways people have focused on recently. It has real problems with payola, which is something other forms of reviews-based journalism gave up long ago (mostly for legal reasons). The problem is that game journalism is relatively young, as are the people who actually produce it, and it hasn’t gone through the same growing pains as the other forms of journalism you mention. They’re not all equal just because they’re termed "journalism" – those other industries have been around for a lot longer, have gone through a lot of legal issues in the past and have now built up a tradition of ethics passed down through generations. Gaming journalism has not.
    I say this from experience in the industry. There are probably some sites and publications out there that are uncorrupted, but the ones you’d probably think of as reliable definitely don’t fit that description, so I’m not convinced there actually are any. Of course, most people in the field don’t think they’re doing anything wrong, but for example when you accept a free trip to Hollywood, free meals, free entertainment, the game publisher then pressures you for a positive preview of their game and you give it to them out of some sense of gratitude or guilt, that is completely unethical. Yet that happens 100% of the time. Not 60% or 70%, 100% of the time. I’ve seen it, and I’ve done it, from both sides. It’s just the normal way of doing business in the industry. If you see a particularly positive preview of any major game, you can bet there is quid pro quo going on. The gaming press isn’t really independent; it acts as a PR arm for major publishers.
    I don’t usually fill out these college questionnaires so I don’t really know if that’s the focus here or if it’s some gamergate thing. I can tell you that whatever issues gamergate has pretended to bring up are completely ridiculous. There are much more serious problems with the gaming press.