Thread: Speak to me

Speak to me

So, it looks like Google are going to be joining Apple and Microsoft by putting their digital assistant on their desktop OS. For some reason they are going to be adding a dedicated button on Chromebooks to access it (why can't they just access it with a long press on the search key or the 'o' menu thingy? It is accessed with a long press on the home button on Android; surely there's a case for consistency across devices, especially when Chromebooks are increasingly usable in tablet mode and that 'o' button becomes much more like Android's home button).
    But do we really want it? Apple has seen a 15% drop in people using Siri over the last year despite it becoming available on more and more devices. Is the voice assistant race going to turn out to be just another fad?
    Voice assistants might make sense on small screen or no-screen devices where input is more tricky, but the laptop/desktop is a productivity machine with keyboard and trackpad and things to help you work faster. Do we really want voice assistants slowing us down?

(Disclosure: I do. I like the idea of consistency, even if I don't end up using it.)

Windows 10 already has the Cortana button right next to the home button in the bottom left corner (yes, that button you disabled the first day you got Win10 and then forgot about it) but I don’t think I’ve ever actually used it.
    Would I use it more if it was Google Assistant instead of Cortana? Maybe, if it was coupled with Google Now cards and reminders about appointments and stuff.
    The fact that you can already sort of use the Google Search bar for Assistant type actions kinda makes it redundant, my chrome browser is already open all the time.

I use dictation more than Siri but, yes, its very useful
    I just wish Siri and Spotlight were all one

Is that what you did here?
    I still don’t find Siri on Mac as good as iOS. Not as reliable for dictation . I wonder if there are different voice models used or something.

I’m very bad for not checking what I have typed when using my phone and I don’t have my glasses on!
    I think the Mac still uses the old tech licenced from Dragon Dictate.

Posted onJul 21, 2017 | 6:20 AM

content from reference site