Thread: How Social Media Is Changing

How Social Media Is Changing

Imagine a world where you go out to dinner and you don’t post your meal to Instagram. Or when you go to a wedding, and you don’t add the ceremony to your Snapchat story. Or when some influential movie star dies and you don’t post a photo and sad comment to Facebook, like you were his biggest fan. Can you imagine it?
    For some reason, that’s really hard for some people to imagine, yet that’s the way the world was only a decade ago. The iPhone wasn’t out, Facebook was still a Harvard-only service, and if your cat did something super cute, the rest of world would never know. Needless to say, it was a simpler time.
    The basic premise of social media is to keep you connected with your friends and family. That’s still true today, but it’s taken a back seat to other key points like entertainment and news.Let’s take my Facebook feed for an example. Currently, it’s filled with cat videos (I don’t even like cats, I swear), politics, sports, news and friends. The sad part is, it’s all in that order.

Social media sites are now basically expected to give you everything from your friends to your favorite stars to news outlets. Which is fine, if it’s done correctly. But, I like to keep my friends and family feed different from my news feed.
    To me, Facebook has become the StumpleUpon of 2016. You can find some of the most random things on Facebook now. Yesterday, a video of Chinese teenagers playing poker with an excessive amount of money popped in to my feed. Why? Because someone I barely know liked it.
    Needless to say, I don’t like Facebook that much. I only still use it because a large majority of my friends still use it. But for everything else, I usually go to Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat. And I think that’s pretty normal for everyone nowadays.
    I use Instagram mostly for photography and filmmaking reasons. It’s not personal at all. I don’t even have a personal Instagram. I just don’t use it for that, and don’t think it should be. That’s what Facebook and Twitter are for, in my opinion.
    I use Twitter as my news feed. I do this because I used to browse my Feedly then my Twitter, and see all of the same stuff scattered throughout my feed. I just decided I didn’t need a Feedly and I now solely use Twitter. I also have some friends on Twitter, but it’s mostly news.
    Snapchat is my new favorite thing. A few short months ago, I hated Snapchat. I didn’t see the purpose of it, it seemed stale, and I didn’t think a lot of my friends were on it. But, my sister urged to me try it out, and I use it daily now. I love it for various reasons, but the best reason is it keeps updating. The Snapchat team is romantic about their product, and they’re constantly changing it. It’s so awesome. It’s just another service that allows me to be creative in another way.

Snapchat is also my most personal social media, which is why I like it that much. I’m following my friends, Casey Neistat and a few companies. I think I like it so much because it is the truest form of social media. It allows me to connect with my friends in the most personal way. But, it also gives me the chance in a completely un-intrusive way to check the news. It’s the best of both worlds, if that’s what you want.
    Snapchat has even made companies more personal. That’s why Snapchat is such a great tool for businesses. When it first came out, businesses threw it aside. No one saw it’s potential, until everyone did. It allows the company to share more content with their customers, but with a more personal touch. It’s not automated or fake, it’s just fun and organic.
    I’m a big believer that every business should have a Snapchat, and better yet, every retail business (coffee shop, bar, shopping mall, etc….) should have a location filter for Snapchat. Why very few people are doing this baffles me! It’s a great way to let your customers promote your business through social media.
    Some people will take all of this too far and say that social media is dead. I beg to differ. In fact, I think this is the pinnacle for social media, despite my gripes. We have sites like Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, Musical.ly, Vine, and Facebook that allow us to communicate with not only our friends, but with strangers. It’s a much better way to connect and collaborate with others only a few years ago.

content from reference sitee