Thread: Computer Science student - Macbook Pro, Macbook, or Surface Laptop (And upgrade to Windows 10 Pro)

Computer Science student - Macbook Pro, Macbook, or Surface Laptop (And upgrade to Windows 10 Pro)

Hey guys, just wanted a take on a laptop for a computer science student. I'm considering these laptops:
    Macbook 2017
    * 256GB SSD
    * i5
    *8GB Ram
    Macbook Pro 2017
    i5
    8GB ram
    128GB SSD
    Non Touchbar
    Surface Laptop
    i5
    8GB
    256GB
    My primary concerns are
    Build quality
    Keyboard Quality
    Battery life
    And then software ecosystem - is there still a general anti - Windows sentiment amongst many developers and Comp Sci students, or with the advent of better hardware (and the Ubuntu Shell) is that changing?
    Also - do you think a 12" screen would be too small during class on the Macbook? I have an external monitor for at home assignments, but I can't completely handicap myself on the go.
    Other Windows laptop suggestions are appreciated!

You can’t really go wrong with any of those options. But if it was my choice, I’d probably go with the MacBook Pro, since the bigger screen will be more comfortable for code writing, I find macOS to be a more comfortable and reliable OS than windows, specially for coding, and I trust Apple’s battery estimates more than Microsoft’s.
    This is coming from a 2015 MacBook Pro and Surface Pro 4 user, by the way.

Valid analysis. One thing I’m keeping in mind is that I can always run Windows on OSx while having Macbook hardware, but not vice versa.

The MacBook Pro. It’s powerful enough to last you four years in college, and will have no trouble running any coding apps you throw at it.
    And like you said above, you can always Bootcamp into Windows when you need it.

content from reference site